Thursday, July 12, 2007

Family Tree

Last weekend I was talking to a cousin of mine about how I would really like to see a wiki-type family tree website where you can invite contributors to add and edit your tree, put as much information as you like about each person, and maybe, eventually connect the entire world.

A not-too-simple google search later, and I find www.geni.com

This is a sleek, neater, and practical(ler) execution of my basic idea. Cribbing heavily from Linkedin this site allows users to easily (and addictively) add everyone in their family and their family's family to an extremely easy to navigate family tree. I've only played with it for a half hour and it does seem to be defaulted to traditional family mode (i.e. all siblings are assumed to be from same parents, and all parents are assumed to be married or formerly married) but I'm sure they'll improve on that over time. Anyway, I highly recommend trying the site out.

The bad news? I won't be able to sell my idea to Google for 10 billion dollars.

No comments: