Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Caveat Lector

For a very long time I've thought about writing a blog because I love sharing my opinions with people. On the other hand, I'm a person of flexible convictions, and am willing to change my opinions when new and persuasive evidence is introduced. So what I write as my opinion today may not be the same tomorrow. Is this a bad thing?

The talmud uses the term L'Shitoso (according to his opinion) when attempting to discern whether a statement made by a talmudic rabbi is consistent with prior statements he has made. This tests the authenticity of the subsequent statement and the accuracy of the understanding of the prior statements. Yet talmudic rabbis changed their opinions all the time when presented with challenges and proofs. Apparently, when the talmudic rabbi is no longer around, he leaves a legacy of consistent opinions which can then be used as a litmus test on purported statements, but during his life he constantly evaluates evidence to discern what his own true opinion is. (In this two cent analysis, the talmudic rabbi treats what he learned from his teachers, i.e. his mesorah, as evidence to be given great deference but not absolute closed-eyed obedience.)

I guess I like to approach things the same way. There's no absolute truth or absolute right in this world, it's all shades of grey. Yes I know this statement is then a paradox because the absence of an absolute is an absolute in itself. I also believe that the existence of G-d is an absolute, unprovable, truth, which also tends to be an undisprovable truth, however I am happy to discuss this point as I take nothing for granted. With the possible exception of the existence of G-d.

The title of this blog is a play on the Hebrew phrase "Chanoch L'Naar Al Pi Darko" which means educate the child according to his ways. My way may be an education or a miseducation, depending on the day and your (the reader's) perspective. I plan to do a lot of blathering on about stuff on my mind, and (in typical lawyer fashion), I disclaim any of these opinions as subject to change without notice. Caveat Lector - Reader Beware.

No comments: